On 29 Nov 2002 10:34:11 -0500, Dan Espen wrote:

> Dominik Vogt <fvwm-workers@fvwm.org> writes:

> > > Yes, it should not be forgotten.
> > >
> > > I think it should be replaced with a new command line utility fvwm-exec.
> > > I would like to find a way to do it without FvwmCommandS similarly to how
> > > fvwm-root tells fvwm it changed a root image. I may check whether it is
> > > possible to communicate using X dirrectly and, if yes, will do it later.
> >
> > Scripting by using roundtrips to the X server?  I don't think that
> > is a good idea.  On one hand it is far slower than even the
> > current module interface.  And on the other hand it creates a lot
> > of problems with permissions and opens even more security holes.
>
> If Mozilla/Netscape is any example, I agree with Dominik, its horribly
> slow.

The communication should not be done using X, only a notification of such
communication. I think it is better than sending a signal, because this
requires knowing a process number. After a notification the comminication
may be initialized just like now, using local pipes in /tmp or similar.
Then nothing will be changed regarding security.

> I hate breaking  compatibilty, more than I  dislike inconsistency.   If
> you change the name, please consider providing a link to the old name.

Yes, if any of FvwmCommand/FvwmCommandS/FvwmConsole are to be removed,
they will be replaced with wrappers in 2.6.x. I don't want to remove them
at this point. I want to try to implement fvwm-exec first and then think
whether something is redundant.

> I agree that FvwmCommand is a security exposure.  Users should
> only use it when they have their environment under control.  Its good
> that it needs to be explicitly turned on.

Ok, the default may be "off" until we define a better way.
A better way may be to have it "on" for the same local user.

Regards,
Mikhael.