On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 08:22:16PM -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > I still think it should be moved into a separate command and take
> > > two directions as the argument (like IconBox).  One major
> > > direction and a minor direction which must be orthogonal to the
> > > first one.  For example:
> > >
> > >   ScanWindows North West
> > >
> > > This means "Scan windows from North to South.  Of all windows that
> > > are closest in the primary direction, pick windows from left to
> > > right."
> >
> > Or I guess we could just turn CMD_Direction into a regular function
> > and route CMD_Direction and CMD_ScanWindows into it.

> > I don't like how there are 8 possible secondary directions, but only
> > 2 are valid.  Maybe right/left turns, like 'ScanWindows East Right'.
> > That would mean the z-axis points into the screen.

That would be confusing since Left and Right are synonyms for West
and East.  I'd prefer to parse the direction as usual and complain
if the secondary direction is not orthogonal to the primary.  And
it is consistent with the semantics of the IconBox style.

> Ok, done.  Here's the working example:
>
> Key -Meta_L     A   A   SendToModule    FvwmProxy   Hide
> Key Tab         A   M   SendToModule    FvwmProxy   Circulate       \
>                         ScanWindows East Right (CurrentPage !Sticky)
>
> Key Tab         A   SM  SendToModule    FvwmProxy   Circulate       \
>                         ScanWindows West Right (CurrentPage !Sticky)
>
> If this ok, I go ahead and add ScanWindows to the core man page.
>
> By "closest in the primary direction", did you mean anything other
> than "exactly the same", such as "within some delta"?  Cause I didn't
> do that.

When the distance is != 0 it is obvious what to do.  But when a
window with distance is found, the distance in the secondary
direction is used.  In other words, with "North West", the closest
window to the right of the current one is take.