On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 03:36:51PM +0300, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> I suggest these colorset usability things:
>
> 1) New colorset option "Clear" or "NoEffects" depending on what it does
> that removes all effects from a colorset, it may be aproximately
> equivalent to:
>
>   Colorset N NoDither, \     # not sure about this one
>     Tint, fgTint, bgTint, Alpha, fgAlpha, IconTint, IconAlpha, \
>     Plain, NoShape, fg, bg   # not sure about these 4
>
> This is intended to be used in dynamical configurations as in:
>
>   Colorset N Clear, fg .., bg .., VGradient ..  # set completely new colors
>
> I.e. it either resets all effects leaving only fg/bg/image/gradient or
> resets everything. Both are ok for me. Probably reseting everything is
> preferred. In this case Clear may work like CleanupColorsets just on a
> single colorset.

I prefer resetting individual options with the '!' prefix:

  Colorset n !bgTint, !fgAlphaa, ...

> 2) It seems to me that whenever I do "Tint color percent" I always want
> to do "bgTint color percent" too, otherwise the sh/hi colors look
> incorrectly. So I think, "Tint" should also set "bgTint". If someone
> really wants the current behaviour (doubtly), he may always reset
> "bgTint", i.e. "Tint cyan 20, bgTint". For most of cases bgTint will be
> redundant with this proposal.
>
> 3) It seems to me that whenever I do "Transparent" or "RootTransparent"
> I always want to do "bg average" after that. I remember the last time we
> discussed this it was rejected, since it takes time to evaluate average.
> However most of users will need to do it anyway, just explicitely.
> I think "bg average" should be implicetely set after every background
> image/gradient/transparent change.

@2,3:  This kind of automagically setting options when something
else is used has caused me great pain in the past:

  - The result depends on the order of commands:
      Colorset n Tint x, bgTint y
    is not the same as
      Colorset n bgTint y, Tint x
  - The above is confusing for the user
  - It's often impossible to enhance the featureset without
    breaking compatibility (e.g. see the new focus policy styles).
  - It's much more difficult to change later.

In my eyes, a big fat comment in the man page should do.

> I think this may be solved nicely in this way. Initially or after "Clear"
> or after "bg average", bg is set to be "average"-ed on every background
> change, hovewer after explicit bg setting, the auto-averaging is off.

Ciao