On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 11:52:38PM +0000, Thomas Adam wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 12:31:15AM +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> > The old manmage said:
> >
> >   XineramaRoot
> >
> >   the root window of the whole Xinerama screen.  Equivalent to
> >   "root" when Xinerama is not used.
> >
> > Can you please restate that for me?  What is "whole Xinerama
> > screen" in xrandr terms?
>
> >From a quick scan of the code in menus.c where xineramaroot is being used,
> it's not entirely clear to me,

In the past it referenced the current Xinerama screen, not the
whole root window.  When a menu is placed the code needs a
reference rectangle to calculate the menu position.  It can be
relative to the pointer, to a window, to the root window, to a
monitor etc.

> but if this option is meant to do what I think
> it is, then this would be taking the width/height of the monitor the
> pointer/window is on, rather than referencing the width/height of the entire
> root window.

That would be correct.

Renamed it to "monitor" and "fMonitorContext".  There's only one
place in the code that evaluates the flag, and that looks fishy.
Can you test it?

  Menu foomenu monitor c c

Should place the menu in the middle of the current monitor.

The code is on the dv/devel branch (you may not want the top
commit on that branch).

Ciao

Dominik Vogt