Hi all,

On Tuesday, November 30th, 2021 at 2:57 PM, Dominik Vogt <dominik.v...@gmx.de>
wrote:

> Still, what is the benefit of having an aspect ratio set?

For a non-swallowed floating FvwmPager, I think it makes a sense that screen
aspect ratio is preserved in it's smaller representation. Like: 16:10, 16:9,
4:3 etc ...

For example, I like to use 4x4 matrix: 4 desks, 4 pages each.

For removing constraint of minimal size, I agree that FvwmPager should not
impose restrictions. 2-4 pixels maybe, but not 100x100.

> The situation is:
> 1.  It's implementation is more or less broken everywhere. =>
>     Nobody uses it.

> 2.  If the ratio is not close to 1, it's outright annoying or even
>     unusable. Try this:
>
>     desktopsize 50x1
>     FvwmPager
>     all (FvwmPager) move 0 50

>     a) Grab the top border and resize it by moving the pointer.
>     => Maximum height stops around "WidthX412" because the width
>           automatically grows bacause af the aspect ratio, but can
>           not get bigger than 32767.
> BAD

Since the ways of using FvwmPager are so different between people's ideas how
to set it up, I think that having the opportunity to configure keeping aspect
ratio makes a sense. Those who are using 50x1 DesktopSize will of course not
use that obviously, but people who use 2x2, 3x2, 2x3, 4x2 and similar and not
having it swallowed inside FvwmButtons may prefer to keep aspect ratio. There
can even be here a solution like in drawing programs: you press Ctrl or Shift
while resizing the object to keep aspect ratio, otherwise, it is free form.

[...]

> in usability to make up for this?

Maybe having ctrl+mouse-resize as I proposed above?

> > But in terms of configurability, I still think an option
> > where the user can decide to preserve the aspect ratio when resizing
> > the window or not allows the most freedom for users.

> But why would anybody want that? Does anybody really use a
> standalone pager, and if so, ever resizes it?

I'm using 3 kinds of standalone FvwmPagers

- "Local" Pager - showing only the current desk
- "Desk" Pager - showing what is on the non-current desk I select on the Front
Panel
- "Global" Pager - all desks and pages

They are floating semi-transient objects. That is, having them transient is
not enough for me, so they quickly disappear by Schedule if they don't posess
the pointer.

I don't really resize them, the are made big enough by dinamically following
screen resolution, but it will be nice if we can somehow keep aspect ratio in
a sense: "this is my monitor in small".

--
Miroslav