Thomas Adam wrote:
2009/12/8 Peter Daum <gator...@yahoo.de>:
larger display. With the newer graphics card/driver, the "virtual" statement

You probably want to set "Viewport" in xorg.conf as well.

I did set "Viewport" - except for the display driver specific part, I kept the
whole X server configuration. Maybe it depends on the graphics driver?

I have an ATI card and (at least for the moment, because the open source driver
only supports my card in the newest xorg release) the proprietary "fglrx"
driver,
but I see the same behavior on another machine with Intel graphics. The
"virtual"
setting in xorg.conf is ignored and the display size set to the physical screen
size:
# xdpyinfo |grep dimen
  dimensions:    2560x1024 pixels (862x344 millimeters)

with "xrandr --fb ...", I can change the display size, e.g.:

  dimensions:    2560x1600 pixels (862x539 millimeters)

but the viewport doesn't shift, so anything outside of the physical screen size
is inaccessible (or at least invisible).

The good part is, that fvwm still works alright :-)

I just had hoped, that maybe one of the X experts on this list knows a solution

Regards,
                                     Peter