Thomas Adam wrote:
> 2012/1/18 Michael Großer <michael.gros...@gmx.de>:
>> Since FvwmIconMan is supposed to replace FvwmWinList,
>> how can I achieve the FollowWindowList behaviour of
>> FvwmWinList with FvwmIconMan?
>
> Because "replace" does not mean carbon copy.  It's not a like-for-like
> comparison, and deprecation does not mean a complete replacement
> either.  Do not make me repeat yet again the reasoning behind this.
>
> You can't achieve the ordering that you're after without FvwmIconMan
> being patched, which would also affect the SortedWeight options, etc.,
> as well as the ability for multiple FvwmIconMan managers managing
> different lists.
>
> It's not even clear whether this feature will make it across to
> FvwmIconMan -- in the first instance, most definitely not.
>
> -- Thomas Adam

Is there a way to write a patch or an option or something else
that uses the SortedWeight options to keep the list in the
same order as FVWM in realtime? Some sort of function or script
could determine the current FVWM order and set the SortedWeight
options in a way that they reflect the FVWM order.

It would be a dirty approach, but it could have a useful effect:
It could make "FvwmIconMan" be a better alternative to "WindowList".
It would make FVWM more flexible and more powerful.

I mean, when I use FvwmIconMan in a transient mode, I don't
need features like SortedWeight or multiple FvwmIconMan managers.
It would not harm if some kind of FollowWindowList option would
disable other features while the user wants to use this feature
in this use case. The user could use both kinds of features
simultaneously just by using multiple instances of FvwmIconMan
anyway, if someone wants this...

Just trying to find a solution ;-)
Michael