On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 09:57:28 -0500
Dan Espen <des...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Thomas Adam <tho...@fvwm.org> writes:
> > Now that 2.6.0 is out, I'm proposing the following project (some of
> > which are a continuation from previous GSoC proposals) -- none of
> > which are listed in any order.
>
> Like all open source work,
> the project should meet some need of the coder.
> So, whoever does the work should have some input on what gets done.

The possibility of an applicant submitting their own proposal should be
definitely be left open.   However, since this is also paid work, I
don't think there is anything wrong with saying, "this is what the
project leadership  *needs* doing most".

Speaking for myself, I would say that "my needs as a coder" in this
regard are about finding clear and well-defined ideas set out for me,
because:

a) While I am personally interested in the project, I am not familiar
with the source, and having a proposal set out suggests a doorway into
the source.

b) I'm more interested in helping the involved senior people with
the tasks that they perceive to be important, or tasks that the user
base has expressed interest in, than in performing my own analysis.

As a long term fvwm user tho, I do naturally have some opinions...

> What do you think?
>
> I'd like to see the initial appearance issue get some attention.

I don't remember the last time I saw the default config, but if
this has to do with enticing new users, to my mind working on that
would first involve:

- deciding who potential "new users" might be, without saying
"well anybody" which leads to trying to be all things to all people
and/or aiming at a lowest common denominator.

- identifying fvwm's strengths and weaknesses vis. what people think
about when they think about a graphical desktop, and focus on presenting
the strengths, not on shoring up the weaknesses.

IMO fwvm's biggest strength is its configurability, which is a
challenging thing to emphasis in a default configuration.  Eg: it seems
to me that the "fvwm95" concept dates back to a time when gnome was
still in it's infancy, and it made more sense to think in terms of an
appeal to general users who did not, and might never, want or need much
in the way of configurability -- instead, the appeal was about
providing a familiar out of the box functionality.

But if in contemporary terms configurability is fvwm's strength, there
is no point in trying to appeal to people who will never make much use
of it, by using it to mimic something familiar and comfortable.

I'm looking back at the "New default configuration wanted" thread that
started last April and was continued a bit in January.  It seems that
appearance is a big issue.  Perhaps we could have a sort of competition
around that, within the limitations that Thomas suggested (no
dependency on xpm/png/svg support).

Something that would emphasis configurability would be to use multiple,
complementary styles.  Also:

- being heavy on the comments
- incorporating optional commented out sections.
- tieing-in something on the web

I also know there is a rounded corners patch available for fvwm.  I
haven't tried it myself, but having a bit of web-dev in my background,
I know that rounded corners are something that people associate with a
"more modern" look.

I don't know if this is a great GSOC item however, as it does not really
involve programming.

> I'm working close to that area:
>
> Right now, I'm trying to understand xdg menus.
> We make an entry in the FvwmMenu marked:
>
> D: Desktop
>
> It's pretty clear that should be "A: Applications".
> I'm pretty sure there should be a "Preferences" and
> "Settings" menu.

Right now, am I correct to say that  xdg menu compatibility is
provided by a script for converting the xml files?   Presuming that
application installs often use those, it might be good to include the
possibility to have that automatically (or prompt to) run at start-up
if the files have changed.

OTOH, again taking (manual) configurability as the key strength, it
might be better to just leave it up to the user to update things
his/her self.

> If we had a volunteer to do "drudge" work it would be nice
> to move off docbook to something easier to use.

Here's an irritating thing:  I'm using 2.6.2 provided by gentoo, and
the links from index.html down in /usr/share/doc/fvwm... are relative to
subdirectories that don't exist.   The files do, just they are all in
the top level.

I'd suggest having those pre-generated in the source tarball, btw,
instead of the xml.

WRT asciidoc, Thomas mentions stuff "within the Documentation/
directory", but I don't know what this refers to (there is no such
directory in the 2.6.4 source).  In any case, I would think that it
should not be hard to parse/scrape/whatever the existing docs into a
NAME, SYNOPSIS, DESCRIPTION pattern, rather than do it all manually.

MK

--
"Enthusiasm is not the enemy of the intellect." (said of Irving Howe)
"The angel of history[...]is turned toward the past." (Walter Benjamin)