On Sun, Oct 01, 2017 at 12:52:22AM +0200, Didier Spaier wrote:

Hi,

Hello,

I like very much FVWM, especially the ability it gives the user to
easily manage individually a big number of windows.

But I would like that the users of the Slint Linux distribution that
I maintain be able to save and restore their sessions.

Seeing in the man page:

SESSION MANAGEMENT
Fvwm supports session management according to the X Session Management
Protocol.  It saves and restores window position, size, stacking order,
desk, stickiness, shadiness, maximizedness, iconifiedness for all
windows.  Furthermore, some global state is saved.

and the associated Session Management Commands, I understand that in the
most recent version at least, (2.6.7) these features are provided only
in association with an external session manager.

Is this correct or do I miss something?

This is an issue for Slint that ships FVWM standalone (with lxpanel) and
also inside a LXDE desktop, because:
1) lxsession, component of LXDE is not able to manage sessions despite
its name, and the less "light" session managers that I am aware of are
tightly associated  with a desktop that we don't ship.
2) I wish that users have the choice to use FVWM in a full desktop as
well as standalone.

So my dream would be that FVWM act as its own session manager, as does
WindowMaker. As a reminder, even when used standalone it the latter can
manage its own sessions (example of saved session attached).

Or maybe I miss something and that's already possible also with FVWM?

have you see this ?

http://linuxgazette.net/100/adam.html

But not sure how helpful that would be
since IIRC slint is taylored for accessibility

Also, as a fallback are you aware of a an external window manager able
to cooperate with FVWM and having very few dependencies?

This I do not know

Best regards,

Didier

<snip>