On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 6:06 AM Dominik Vogt <dominik.v...@gmx.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 10:59:44AM +0100, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> > Hi Thomas,
> >
> > On 3/8/19 9:53 AM, Thomas Adam wrote:
> > > Key F1 A A --
> > >

> > Apparently thats a misunderstanding. Sorry for my bad English.
> >
> > I would like fvwm to *ignore all key bindings for one keypress*
> > to forward it directly to the app with input focus.
>
> X11 does not have a way to override all grabs for just a couple of
> keystrokes.  If a grab is present, it's always active.  (Unless
> the application grabs the keyboard, but that is not what you're
> looking for.)
>
> So the only way to do that is to put all key bindings in some
> file or function, e.g.
>
>   bind_keys
>
> and to unbind them in another one
>
>   unbind_keys
>
> then "read unbind_keys" when necessary and restore them with "read
> bind_keys" later.  You'll probably be unhappy with the performance
> of this approach if you have mora than just a few bindings.
> (Don't forget to put a binding that reactivates the other bindings
> into unbind_keys.)
>
> > Some kind of
> > "escape" key entered before the actual key.
> >
> > For example, I have
> >
> >       Key F1 A N Switch-Iconic
> >       Key F2 ...
> >       :
> >
> > in my .fvwmrc.
> >
> > Assuming the window "xyz" has input focus: If I press and release
> > some [magic_escape_key], followed by [F1], then "xyz" should *not*
> > be changed to an icon, but [F1] should be sent to "xyz" instead.
>
> Ciao
>
> Dominik ^_^  ^_^
>
> --
>
> Dominik Vogt

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the request, but you could also just use a
modifier like the num lock key.  As long as you are *not* ignorning modifiers,
you can press numlock and then the key presses will all go to applications and
fvwm will ignore them.  Then when you want fvwm to pay attention again, just
turn off numlock.

I use this a lot when using nested x sessions to control which window manager
gets a key press.  It works very well.