Hi,

On Friday, December 25, 2020 7:25 PM, Dan Espen <dan1es...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I recently installed Fvwm3 for the first time.
>
> I let it install into /usr/local (the default) where I already had
> Fvwm2.
>
> First thing I noticed is that it replaced the FvwmCommand binary.
> So, while under Fvwm3 I tried to use FvwmCommand.
>
> I get the message:
>
> Cannot find FvwmMFL socket None.
> Please start FvwmMFL module from your fvwm configuration.
>
> So, I put this in my .fvwm2rc:
>
> AddToFunc StartFunction I Module FvwmMFL
>
> and took out:
>
> AddToFunc StartFunction I Module FvwmCommandS
>
> restarted fvwm3 and got the same message.

For a first start with FvwmMFL, you should ensure that FVWMMFL_SOCKET
is known to FvwmMFL module, FvwmCommand and fvwm3. Maybe it is better
to logout and log in to X session with a new configuration.

> So, then I looked at the FvwmMFL man page, no help.
> Then I looked for the FvwmCommand man page, it's missing.

Yes, FvwmCommand is a legacy wrapper in fvwm3 and has one part of the
options FvwmCommand had in fvwm2. It's man page is missing presently.
For a time, see getopt loop at the end of the code currently.

> What I would like to see are instructions on how to make FvwmCommand
> work and ideally instructions on how to set up my Fvwm config file
> to have FvwmCommand work with either fvwm2 or fvwm3.

> Also I'd like some guidance on the best way to have a setup that works
> with both Fvwm versions. It looks like I need to put one of the Fvwm
> versions somewhere other than /usr/local since there are conflicts.

Some golden catch-all configuration for StartFunction should look like:

+ I Test (!EnvMatch FVWM_IS_FVWM3 1) Module FvwmCommandS
+ I Test (EnvMatch FVWM_IS_FVWM3 1) Module FvwmMFL

Optionally, I'm also using this as a out-of-func code at the begining of
configuration:

Test (EnvMatch FVWM_IS_FVWM3 1) SetEnv FVWM3_LOGFILE
$[FVWM_USERDIR]/tmp/fvwm.log
Test (EnvMatch FVWM_IS_FVWM3 1) SetEnv FVWMMFL_SOCKET
$[FVWM_USERDIR]/tmp/fvwm_mfl.sock

Logging can be enabled with USR2 signal to the fvwm3 process.

As you noticed, it is also good idea to put different major versions of FVWM in
different places, not to overlap with files. I usually use "--prefix=/opt/fvwm3"
while configuring fvwm3 for compilation.

> It looks like FvwmMFL does a lot more than FvwmCommandS does, but
> if FvwmMFL was named FvwmCommandS, the transition would be transparent.
> I think.

Could be a symlink ... in a way similar as FvwmTile and FvwmCascade are pointing
to FvwmRearrange. Indeed.

--
Hegel3DReloaded