xterm*VT100.Translations only when mouse is over the window with focus

Is this a bug or a feature?

For me, it's a serious problem.

(click to focus)

ONLY CYGWIN

In particular, I'm talking about the function keys.  These are NOT
mapped in fvwm, but in xterm.

Pressing a function key, like F1, always writes to the window with focus,
but only performs the X11/xterm translations with the mouse is hovering
of the window with focus.

So, I always have to move the mouse to the window to be able to write to
the window.

Note that I can visit various windows with keyboard shortcuts, so
there's no natural
correspondence with mouse position and window focus.

fvwm 2.6.6 compiled on Oct 10 2016 at 00:25:52
with support for: ReadLine, XPM, PNG, SVG, Shape, XShm, SM, Bidi text,
Xinerama, XRender, XCursor, XFT, NLS