On Tue, 23 Jan 2024, Jaimos Skriletz wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 23, 2024 at 6:07 AM Mark Hills <m...@xwax.org> wrote:
> >
> > I'm experiencing rare (but annoying) whole X session crashes, since
> > mid-2023.
> >

> There was a change in libX11 that caused fvwm crashes due to event
> handling. That has been fixed in fvwm3, and the fix isn't in fvwm2
> yet, but you can find the patch here:
>
> https://github.com/fvwmorg/fvwm/pull/102
>
> Maybe test out that patch and see if that helps.

Thanks, the description does indeed seem like it could be a match.

I'm now running 2.7.0+patch. It passes the basic 'sniff' test and I will
try and exercise the bug.

Assuming it survives on my system, I think this should be merged and a 2.x
"stable bugfix" release made speedily. Distributions already pushed libX11
and broke the current FVWM.

Most users are just going to just see an unstable system. It's hard to
reproduce and took time to rule out xdm, xorg etc..

Many thanks for the fast diagnosis.

--
Mark