>Right. I exit fvwm, then restart it in an xterm. It really does read
>my rc file because some of the stuff happens (just not all of it).

Ah-HA! More interesting info: The very first mouse click works fine
(whichever feature I try acts normally on the first mouse click, all
my definitions seem to be there), but following the first click (even
if I exit and restart fvwm), all I see is a the default menu on
button 1, my customizations are all gone.

I have to completely exit the NX session and start a new one, then
the first mouse click in that one works.

That starts to seem like NX screwing up something, but xev still seems
to be reporting perfectly normal looking events - it is just fvwm
that has problems :-).