On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 07:24:52AM +1100, Felix Karpfen wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:13:09 +0000, Thomas Adam wrote
> The root directory switched to "read-only" mode and the computer
> could not be shut down cleanly. In fact it could only be shut down by
> switching off the power.

This is symptomatic of a much larger problem.  Typically if this
happens, it's because there's been a disk error, and that mount has
remounted the partition in RO mode -- most recent distributions employ
this methodology, that I have seen.

> And after switching the power back, I had to run fsck manually to let
> the computer clean up the mess - which took quite a time. And I lost
> several of my few remaining hairs while biting my fingernails and
> wondering whether the crash was beyond fsck's ability to fix.

Fsck is very good at what it does, Felix.   I usually find that running
it four times consecutively helps.  It really will try its best -- and
if it can't fix your partition, you can generally be assured your hard
disk is on the way out.  Indeed, if you:

tail -f /var/log/messages

... do you see any I/O errors?

> I have never attempted to use a "corefile" but, from a very distant
> memory, I believe it sits in /var/log/wtmp. Is that correct?

Not necessarily.  Usually corefiles are dumped in the CWD at the time of
the crash.

> While running fvwm2 with the Gnome Session Manager opened up
> attractive new routines and possibilities, I think the price is too
> high. In 5 years of Linux, I have never encountered crashes such as
> the two crashes that I have managed to survive in the past few weeks.

Check your logs -- these symptoms, as I say, sound like something on a
much larger scale than just a software glitch in this instance.

Session management within FVWM is very good.  I've used it.  I don't
like it, but it works.  :)

-- Thomas Adam

--
I'm brutal, honest, and afraid of you.