Thanks for the reply Olivier. I read through the emails that you exchanged with Dorothy. Unfortunately her problem seems unrelated to mine. For one, I also had tried using a snapshot from 2002-12-20 (that fixed a high-color problem I was having with Solaris), which is after the snapshot you provided on 2002-12-02 to fix Dorothy's problem. I'm having problems even loading PNGs.

thanks,
Ben