Hi,

I've always had problems using PNG icons with FVWM, despite it being built correctly (fvwm-configure shows png support as 'yes'). My machine was recently upgraded to Solaris 8 (or 2.8 depending on nomenclature) and I was hoping that by rebuilding the latest beta FVWM (2.5.7) that I'd find PNGs to now work. But unfortunately they still do not. Then I just noticed this CVS update that was done on 6/6.

CVSROOT:        /home/cvs/fvwm
Module name:    fvwm
Changes by:     olicha  03/06/06 10:44:04

Modified files:
        .              : ChangeLog
        libs           : PictureImageLoader.c

Log message:
* Fixed loading of png images if the caller want no alpha

I built the snapshot from June 7, but not only do PNGs not display still, but I'm having other problems.

What's a good, stable snapshot on Solaris that would include any updates related to PNG?

All I'm doing by the way is a simple line like this:

Style "xterm" myicon.png

No other PNG related lines in my .fvwm2rc file. That's it. Yet, when I iconify an xterm window, I get no icon and this is the output

*FvwmConsole version 2.5.7
[FVWM][GetIconFromFile]: <<ERROR>> Failed to load /path/to/my/pngfile.png

The path is certainly correct, and I've tried using other PNGs with the same problem. I'm also able to view them with no problem with GIMP. It's only within FVWM that there's this problem.

Any help getting PNGs working with Solaris is much appreciated.

Thank you,
Ben

Dan Espen wrote:
Ben Sferrazza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Dan,

Yes, I even added the library paths to LD_LIBRARY_PATH and tried re-building everything with LD_OPTIONS instead of LDFLAGS. Still I have no luck displaying PNG files through FVWM.

Here's the output of ldd for my latest build. It's now finding libXpm, but I'm now getting these SUNW issues which I didn't have before. I don't this is related to the PNG problems though.

        libXpm.so.4.11 =>        /usr/local/lib/libXpm.so.4.11
        libSM.so.6 =>    /usr/openwin/lib/libSM.so.6
        libSM.so.6 (SUNWprivate) =>      (version not found)
        libICE.so.6 =>   /usr/openwin/lib/libICE.so.6
        libICE.so.6 (SUNWprivate) =>     (version not found)
        libXext.so.0 =>  /usr/openwin/lib/libXext.so.0
        libXext.so.0 (SUNW_1.1) =>       (version not found)
        libX11.so.4 =>   /usr/openwin/lib/libX11.so.4
        libX11.so.4 (SUNW_1.1) =>        (version not found)
        libsocket.so.1 =>        /usr/lib/libsocket.so.1
        libnsl.so.1 =>   /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1
        libm.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libm.so.1
libpng.so.3 => /lsi/vp/spiderman/user/bsferraz/bin/libpng-1.2.5/lib/libpng.so.3
        libc.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libc.so.1
        libdl.so.1 =>    /etc/lib/libdl.so.1
        libmp.so.2 =>    /usr/lib/libmp.so.2
        libucb.so.1 =>   /usr/ucblib/libucb.so.1
        libresolv.so.2 =>        /usr/lib/libresolv.so.2
        libelf.so.1 =>   /usr/lib/libelf.so.1

I noticed your ldd output should libz.so. Is this the zlib that libpng requires. Of course when I built the libpng libraries, I had to link zlib, but do I now have to link zlib when building FVWM?

Unless you have a static libz, it should show libz.

I don't know why you have /usr/openwin/lib libraries not found,
maybe you should add -R/usr/openwin/lib to LD_OPTIONS.

I don't know if we are getting anywhere.  I think it would abort or
print an error if this is where the problem was.
I'll have to look around.  Maybe someone else has an idea.

How are you trying to display a PNG?

I simply did:

Style test Icon <full-path-to-png>

then I started an xterm:

xterm -name test

and iconified the window.

Does the png display with other programs.

"display" from ImageMagic works with .png.