On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 2:16 AM Martin Cermak <marti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On  Wed  2019-08-28  13:03 , Dave Weller-Fahy wrote:
> > My goal is to have the following rules followed.
> >
> > Rules about keys being pressed and (possibly) held.
> > - If Ctrl-Alt are pressed ...
> >   - and if no other keys are pressed within some period of time ...
> >     - then pop up the pager
> >   - and if other keys (such as arrow keys) are pressed ...
> >     - then execute some other action
> >
> > Rules about keys being released.
> > - If Ctrl-Alt are released ...
> >     - and if the pager is displayed ...
> >       - then remove the pager
> >
> > The use case is to have Ctrl-Alt-(up|down|left|right) change desks,
>
> I have this setup too (as an option).  But primarily I use
> Ctrl-Alt-(<keypad key 1..9>).  This gives me a clear idea which
> of my 9 desks (arranged as a 3x3 matrix) I am switching to.
> Nothing visual involved.

Thanks for the confirmation! I have the Ctrl-Alt-direction (or any other
arbitrary key combination to change desktops) working perfectly: I
should have been more clear on that. The thing I've not been able to
accomplish is getting the pager to pop up when keys are pressed and
then go away when those same keys are released.

I was reaching the conclusion that what I wanted was not possible with
fvwm (at least, not possible without an external utility), but figured I
would check with the mailing list before giving up and looking for an
external utility to help. I may also try fvwm3 to see if what I want is
possible there.

Regards,
  -dave