Speaking purely from my personal thoughts ...

I have used numerous search engines over the past 12 years, some costing six figures for a license.

There are some reasonable alternatives, but only for rare situations, IMHO:
o commercial - those needing one of the premium commercial search engines to satisfy "special" requirements o special-purpose - for unusual data sets or specific search methods (e.g. concept based or natural language), where search algorithms can be heavily customized to good effect o using PHP extensions - difficult to deploy, but could reap the advantages of PHP extensions written in C/C++

I have often been frustrated by the shortage of good, convenient, free search engines for standard purposes with web applications. Now we have Zend_Search_Lucene .. my favorite :)

Cheers,
Gavin

Matthew Ratzloff wrote:
Since the Lucene search is Zend_Search_Lucene and not Zend_Search itself, I've been wondering if we'll see additional search implementations after 1.0, and what those might be. Is Lucene sufficient for most people, or are there other options out there that people would like to see?

Just curious,

-Matt

p.s. I'm sending this to fw-general because it isn't about Zend_Search_Lucene specifically.