I see much value in each of the following scenarios, which combined form what I expect to cover the majority of use cases:

1) PEAR "component" distributing entire ZF (for developers interested primarily in the latest official release of the incubator, docs, and tests, with an easy mechanism to update to a future official release).

2) PEAR "component" distributing only the stable, production-ready code tree (for easy deployment to production servers)

3) SVN checkout of the entire ZF (for developers interested in the latest and greatest incubator, docs, and tests)

4) Downloadable tarballs/zip archives for those in a hurry, who want a specific release once and no updates.

5) Downloadable nightly snapshots for those who one to make a one-time evaluation/analysis of the latest versions of everything in our source code repository.

6) Online docs - I have a personal bias due to a belief that online documentation usually enables more rapid and frequent updates, user comments and contributions, and ease of use, thus resulting in greater developer productivity.

Developers doing actual development probably want #1 or #3 for the reasons Matthew lists below.
My personal preference for deploying to production servers is #2.

Unfortunately, when we look at the directory structure (zftrunk/library/Zend and zftrunk/incubator/library/Zend) in combination with the conventions of PEAR components, combining both into a single PEAR component (i.e. #1 above) becomes slightly problematic, so #1 might not result in a convenient layout for some. I suggest we start with implementing #2 first by updating and finishing the system started at http://pear.zfdev.com/.

Cheers,
Gavin

Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
-- Rob Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
(on Friday, 02 February 2007, 06:42 AM +0000):