Well, the two cases are different.  This proposal talks about merging
two config files together where you already know the names of the
configuration files.

I'm looking for the ability to load a number of smaller configuration
files without having to actually worry what they are actually called.

If the person who is maintaining Zend_Config wants to contact me, I
might be able to get some support from my boss to fund this change...
:)