When and where will these results be published?

Regards,
Eric

On Dec 15, 2007, at 9:58 PM, Wil Sinclair wrote:

Hey guys, sorry I didn't get a chance to reply to this thread until now.
While I might not be an expert on performance tuning in PHP, I believe
there are a few best practices that apply to all languages and
frameworks out there. Foremost among these is never increase code
complexity before having reasonable benchmarks to give you a decent
'before' and 'after' picture of the optimization. I realize that PHP is somewhat unique in the benefit it can realize from an opcode cache, so I
would expect these figures for both opcode-cached and -uncached
installations. I also realize the extent of the complexity that might be
introduced- in fact, we might be able to simplify the lazy-loading of
exception classes further by introducing a factory method- possibly in
the Zend_Loader class- which doesn't make for a whole hell of a lot of
complexity. That said, it does add SOME complexity to the framework,
since we either have to include the exception class in more places than we had to previously or we would have to prescribe a different method of
exception class loading than the most basic suggested usage at the
language level, and is therefore subject to the rule of thumb I mention
above.
Fortunately, we plan to do a performance audit of framework in the 1.5
timeframe that will create exactly these benchmarks to test against
going forward. ;D While I imagine that these will support a strong
argument for lazy loading of exceptions, I suggest we wait until we've
had a chance to run these benchmarks to decide which optimizations of
the many possibilities that we agree are worth the extra complexity.
Ultimately, this is another argument against 'premature optimization',
but I'm being slightly more specific about the definition of 'premature'
here- anything before our 1.5 performance tests are executed and the
results compiled. :)

Thanks.
,Wil