Justin,

GMT+1 is DST aware... UTC is not.

From the point of usability you have only a few options:
* Display the original timezone name... it is the same in every language and does not need a translation * Display only the hour-difference... most users which are able to use computers are also aware of the hour difference they belong to GMT * Display cities... this integrates the problem that you need all selected cities translated to all 128 languages. Or you display the city name always in original language which could be irritating to users

From simplicity and what I've seen in other applications in multiple
businesses I would only show the full timezone name.

Greetings
Thomas Weidner, I18N Team Leader, Zend Framework
http://www.thomasweidner.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Hendrickson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Thomas Weidner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 9:52 PM
Subject: Re: [fw-general] Timezone recommendations?

You're right, I have no idea how I want to display it. Are there any
usability studies, opinions, preferences or recommendations? I'd like to
hear them since I have little experience in this area.

My hope was that Zend_Locale had an implementation of the preferred way of
doing it, which is why I was confused by the variety of methods and lack of
a clear answer to my problem.

I'd like to make things as easy on myself and the users as possible when
selecting their timezone. It's my understanding that the area/location
"timezones" are DST-aware and respect changes made by governing bodies, so
using them seems to make the most sense. Since GMT+/-# aren't DST-aware, I'd
like to avoid them.

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 2:25 PM, Thomas Weidner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>