I'm pretty sure you're right - most open source applications start as simple
solution and grow into mutated monsters from there ;). I do think the ZF is
in poll position to drive more of those though - the use at will
architecture makes retrofitting existing hacked up solutions extremely easy.
Another point however is that PHP has been around long enough that the
available open source applications meet a lot of needs without resorting to
new ones - that's bound to make open source ZF applications very rare. Most
of the potential ZF examples will be proprietary and not open source.

-----
Pádraic Brady

http://blog.astrumfutura.com
http://www.patternsforphp.com
OpenID Europe Foundation - Irish Representative