From: Wil Sinclair [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 22 July 2008 23:46
To: Robert Castley; Jurriën Stutterheim
Cc: Zend Framework General
Subject: RE: [fw-general] Announcing Project Planetarium!

I actually have not gotten this impression. In fact, Andi just blogged about
2 ZF-based apps that are finalists in SourceForge's Community Choice Awards
(Magento and Tine 2.0 if you'd rather not follow the link):
http://andigutmans.blogspot.com/2008/07/zf-well-represented-at-sourceforge.h
tml
<http://andigutmans.blogspot.com/2008/07/zf-well-represented-at-sourceforge.
html> .

There are lots of other projects based on ZF, but I can understand why they
may not have gotten a lot of attention:

·         A lot of these projects are actually closed source powering
sites/apps at large companies and organizations. You might be surprised to
find out how widespread it is in the 'enterprise' environment; I bet most of
you use ZF daily without even knowing it. If I had to guess, I'd say this is
because ZF has always taken the difficult position of prioritizing power &
flexibility over usability in the first few hours. This is something that
companies appreciate since they have their requirements at hand when they
are choosing the framework, but OS projects are often built up more
organically from (sometime simple) projects with requirements coalescing
during development. They might not realize that ZF is a good fit for them
from the outset. Like I said- just a guess. J

·         ZF is still relatively young with little more than a year under
our belt since the 1.0 release.

·         A lot of projects actually use ZF components, but don't identify
or advertise themselves as ZF-based. We get back to the question of what
exactly a ZF app is. Ultimately, I don't care as long as people are using
it. ;)

·         We don't have a big-player CMS based on ZF. CMS's seem to almost
reign supreme as the ultimate app in the PHP world and are the lifeblood of
many PHPer's development lives. It's a very different situation in other
communities in my experience, where CMS's are just another class of
applications along with the usual acronym suspects like CRM, ERP, BI, etc. I
think this is just a matter of time on this count.

We would definitely love to have a list of ZF-based projects on the ZF site.
Please, everyone, let me know if you have a project of your own and a link!

,Wil