Yes, this is exacly what you want. But if you want module routes (the
default routes with the Zend_Controller_Router_Route_Module), the
hostname route does not help you. It only works with predefined routes.
IMHO, they are better anyway, because the URLs are more SEO friendly.

In general, I would suggest you to put the common modules on another
subdomain, as else you would get duplicate content in google, so a bad
rating.