The code was encoded, and after decoding it, all it does is echo a statement
back.

Some searching online, I found a write up on it -
<http://hphosts.blogspot.com/2008/09/alas-another-exploit-attempt-rfiphp.htm
l>
http://hphosts.blogspot.com/2008/09/alas-another-exploit-attempt-rfiphp.html
- if your interested.

As to the why use the HTTP_USER_AGENT field.. Got me. I don't know of any
exploits using it...

A quick search online, I did find a older version of AWStats that had a bug
using the http_referr. Could be related. See
<http://labs.idefense.com/intelligence/vulnerabilities/display.php?id=290>
http://labs.idefense.com/intelligence/vulnerabilities/display.php?id=290

Btw, you would be surprised at how many hosting places there are where you
can use commands like - 'exec', 'shell_exec', 'system', passthru'.

An URL Injection example:  <http://osvdb.org/show/osvdb/37816>
http://osvdb.org/show/osvdb/37816  The code this injection exploits is :
require_once($languagePath . 'common.lang.php');

If your really curious and want more info, try some searchs for "PHP remote
file inclusion" or "url injection".

Terre

  _____