Matthew,

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> -- Bradley Holt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> (on Tuesday, 28 October 2008, 12:29 PM -0400):
> > Is there a simple way in ZF to truncate a string? I searched and didn't
> find
> > any talk of a ZF specific component for this. I also looked at the list
> of
> > standard filter classes and didn't see anything there either. I know
> there are
> > tons of possible ways to do this - I'm just surprised there isn't
> anything in
> > ZF yet so perhaps I'm just not looking in the right place.
>
> You're looking for Zend_Filter_StringTrim -- which can be used in the
> form classes as well.

Maybe I'm just slow today, but I'm not sure how Zend_Filter_StringTrim would
be used to truncate a string to a given character or word length. I thought
it simply removed given characters from the beginning and end of a string.

For example, I want to truncate the following:

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy sleeping dog.

to 30 characters:

The quick brown fox jumped ove

or to 30 characters, but the closest whole word:

The quick brown fox jumped

or to 6 words (instead of characters):

The quick brown fox jumped over

Of course, there are probably other features that may be useful too. Is this
something that can be done in Zend_Filter_StringTrim or using another ZF
component? There are numerous ways to do this in PHP directly (so no need
for anyone to post those here) but I was just curious if ZF had a clean and
simple way to do this.

Thanks,
Bradley

--