-- Bradley Holt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
(on Tuesday, 28 October 2008, 02:28 PM -0400):
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>     -- Bradley Holt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
>     (on Tuesday, 28 October 2008, 12:29 PM -0400):
>     > Is there a simple way in ZF to truncate a string? I searched and didn't
>     find
>     > any talk of a ZF specific component for this. I also looked at the list
>     of
>     > standard filter classes and didn't see anything there either. I know
>     there are
>     > tons of possible ways to do this - I'm just surprised there isn't
>     anything in
>     > ZF yet so perhaps I'm just not looking in the right place.
>
>     You're looking for Zend_Filter_StringTrim -- which can be used in the
>     form classes as well.
>

> Maybe I'm just slow today, but I'm not sure how Zend_Filter_StringTrim would
> be
> used to truncate a string to a given character or word length. I thought it
> simply removed given characters from the beginning and end of a string.
>
> For example, I want to truncate the following:
>
> The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy sleeping dog.
>
> to 30 characters:
>
> The quick brown fox jumped ove
>
> or to 30 characters, but the closest whole word:
>
> The quick brown fox jumped
>
> or to 6 words (instead of characters):
>
> The quick brown fox jumped over
>
> Of course, there are probably other features that may be useful too. Is this
> something that can be done in Zend_Filter_StringTrim or using another ZF
> component? There are numerous ways to do this in PHP directly (so no need for
> anyone to post those here) but I was just curious if ZF had a clean and simple
> way to do this.

Oh, never mind -- I was thinking "truncate trailing whitespace", not
"truncate to a given preset length".

Nope, nothing like that currently. Sounds like a good feature request.
:)

Software Architect       | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Zend Framework           | http://framework.zend.com/