Matthew,

I think you hit on something here.  The way that the DNS is set up on this
webhost was causing a spot of confusion.  the typical .htaccess setup will
work fine on someone's document root, but work differently if the source
code is in a path off the main root and is re-routed to the domain via DNS.
To solve it I changed one line in the suggested rewrite rule from:

RewriteRule ^.*$ /index.php [NC,L]

to something more specific:

RewriteRule ^.*$ http:/www.evolveveganism.com/index.php [NC,L]

and that has *seemed* to solve the issue.  Ive refreshed and linked around
and have yet to see an error of the type described earlier.  Just thought
I'd post my solution for anyone else who may have this issue.

Thanks!