IMHO it does compare.

The CSS support is also excellent, it doesn't seem to suffer the bug I
reported in Eclipse (ages ago!) whereby the CSS syntax of

font:11px/14px Verdana;

get formatted to:

font: 11px/ 14px Verdana; (notice the space)

The laptop I currently use (issued through work) handles Netbeans far better
than Eclipse.  My personal Mac Pro is responsive in both.

After 'playing' with Netbeans more I have come to the following conclusions:

1) Team Synchronise ROCKS! in Eclipse.  Netbeans offers no comparison.
2) Javascript editing is far better in Netbeans than in PDT 1.0.3
3) Loving the colour highlight in explorer tree in Netbeans to show
changed/modified files
4) Collaboration ROCKS! in Netbeans.  Loving OpenFire as well.
5) Netbeans plugin installation is far easier than Eclipse.  NetBeans
provides you with a list of (156) plugins available to install.
6) NetBeans 5 seconds to load/start, Eclipse 7 seconds (on the laptop)
7) I removed Zend Studio Beta in favour of Eclipse + PDT as it was soooooo
slow.

I am now using Eclipse + PDT for the Team Synchronise and NetBeans for code
development (for the time being).

OK, you could argue that PHP support is not so good in NetBeans but it all
comes down to using the tool that fits.

NetBeans gives a PHP developer everything he needs, as does Eclipse + PDT.
That leaves personal preference as the deciding factor.

As with everything in life, it is nice to have a choice!

  _____