I'm pretty terrible at the whole MVC thing but I've done ok with a separate
controller for each table (except for obvious exclusions like intersection
tables or tiny tables for normalization purposes), and then extra
controllers for stuff in your app, like "users", and action helpers /
bootstrap code for stuff that you'll use across all the controllers like
logging or ACLs.

One thing I will say is that you'll probably end up implementing a "Base"
controller that all your other controllers inherit from. Apparently you are
meant to use action helpers for stuff like that though, but eh... it works
for me and it is pretty simple and easy to follow.