To handle timeout you need to go outside of PHP. I use nginx to do something
like "add_header Last-Modified $date_gmt" (you can do cache control and Expires
depending on the files too). nginx's main directives are add_header and
expires. It does not support Etags (and probably won't since the developer
doesn't find them worth the trouble :)). With a little more work I can even
pre-compress the static files with gzip and use ngx_http_gzip_static_module to
serve those without impacting the CPU.

Those private methods are probably the same ones (or similar) that I met when
writing my recent blog entries about this proposal. I've added them to the
proposal as a general refactoring point that is a precondition - they are a
pain in the ass to work around and I've been using a funky
bin2hex/pack('H*',...) (insert other validator buster) adapter to work through
them.

Anyone have other thoughts on the idea? I might put the proposal up during
tomorrow for further comment.

Paddy

 Pádraic Brady

http://blog.astrumfutura.com
http://www.survivethedeepend.com
OpenID Europe Foundation Irish Representative