Tim Fountain wrote:

> I would suggest, if at all possible, you try and get the remi repositories
> (
> http://blog.famillecollet.com/pages/Config-en) enabled on your server.
> These
> will allow you to install a more recent version of PHP on CentOS.
>
> IMHO the ZF team can't be expected to try and support previous releases.
> PHP
> 5.1.6 is well over two years old.

I'm not telling the ZF developers what to do, or saying what I think they
ought to do. I'm just asking what they will do.

I'm not defending the fact that Centos is stuck at php 5.1.6 because that's
what rhel 5.2 has. Evidently if you pay Redhat extra money, over and above
the cost of rhel 5, you can get a stack with a more recent version of php.
That stack hasn't made it into Centos, apparently because of some licensing
issue with some non-php component of the redhat SRPMS. I know if I pay for
Zend Core I can get a supported, more up-to-date php version. I know the
Centos developers have a more recent version in their 'test' repo that
apparently no one is testing, so it remains in the test repo with a 'do not
use on a production machine' recommendation. I know that it is possible to
put a more recent version of php on a Centos5 machine using other folks'
rpms that are not supported by the Centos developers.

It strikes me that there are likely a lot of people who cannot update or
cannot or will not risk updating php on a Centos 5 based server on which
they want to run php apps. Maybe I`m wrong about that. If I`m not, though,
then its seems to me a valid question whether, having abandoned support for
php < 5.2.4 in 1.7.0+, the developers will decide to continue supporting the
last version of ZF that (apart from a few identifiable components) purported
to be functional on the version of php to which non-wealthy, non-technical
centos5 users are still restricted. Its a decision to which both 'yes' and
'no' answers are defensible. I just want to know what the answer is, so I
can decide what to do next.

If this is not the place to get some sort of authoritative answer to that
question, please let me know.