2009/2/8 A.J. Brown <fynw...@gmail.com>:

> Just append "&" to the end of the command.
>
> system('php -f /path/to/file.php var1 var2 &');
>
> It may not work on a share host either, though :)

The problem seems to be solved already, but to be complete I wanted to
add that this won't work either. You are right, the process will be
running in the background, but it'll also be cancelled when the script
is finished.
If you're running Linux at your PC you can try this out just open up a
console, start a gui application with the & at the end of the line and
close the console windows, the GUI application will close as well
(this does not apply for every GUI application, since some detach from
the console, but for the most I could reproduce this). This is because
they are still "connected" to the shell that you opened.

If you'd really want to detach a process you'd have to use something
like screen.

But as the problem is already solved this was just to give a hint to
everybody that was finding this discussion by using google.

--
Currently developing a browsergame...
http://www.p-game.de

Follow me at twitter!