-- howard chen <howac...@gmail.com> wrote
(on Tuesday, 03 February 2009, 11:59 AM +0800):
> Hello,
>
> I have some questions related to the offical ZFW QuickStart Guide
> (http://framework.zend.com/docs/quickstart)
>
> 1. The tutorial encourage the use of "APPLICATION_ENVIRONMENT", but
> where should I define this variable? in index.php or bootstrap.php?

In index.php. Typically, I actually set it in my .htaccess or vhost
using apache's SetEnv directive, and then try to pull it from there.

So, for instance, I might have the following line in my .htaccess:

    SetEnv APPLICATION_ENV development

Then, in my index.php:

    defined('APPLICATION_ENV')
        || define('APPLICATION_ENV',
            isset($_SERVER['APPLICATION_ENV'])
            ? $_SERVER['APPLICATION_ENV']
            : 'production');

> 2. The example app use Zend_Config_Ini to read ini file every request,
> will it be slow in real apps? (since parsing take time)

Not really. parse_ini_file() is actually very fast -- typically faster
than parsing XML, and only slightly slower than include()ing a file with
a native PHP array.

> 3. There is an error in this page:
> http://framework.zend.com/docs/quickstart/create-a-model-and-database-table
>
> Search for the word " application/model/GuestBook.php", it should be
> " application/models/GuestBook.php"

Thanks -- this has been reported previously, and we'll be updating for
the next site refresh.

Software Architect       | matt...@zend.com
Zend Framework           | http://framework.zend.com/