Maybe this might also help.

Another point to mention here is that i have 3 layout scripts for my site:

 - layout-site.phtml
 - layout-site-view.phtml
 - layout-site-view-l2.phtml

Now pages like www.mydomain.com/events/browse - use the layout-site.phtml

But i  couldnt use the same layout script(layout-site.phtml) for those urls
with parameters because the css+images dont show up.

so i needed another layout script that could reference those assets
differently hence the layout-site-view.phtml for URLs with parameters like
www.mydomain.com/events/details/id/34. If the page takes two parameters then
layout-site-view-l2.phtml comes into play.

In referencing my css file in for e.g the layout-site.phtml file the link
ref would look like:

<link href="../../css/venues_content.css" media="screen" rel="stylesheet"
type="text/css" />

but for layout-site-view.phtml -

<link href="../../../css/venues_content.css" media="screen" rel="stylesheet"
type="text/css" />

I just thinking maybe the referencing of dojo also needs to change on
layout-site-view.phtml like that of the css file since the pages are more
inner and not on the 'root' per say?

Just mentioning this may be it provides some sort of leads.

Thanks

-----
dee