Thanks for helping me get that sorted folks. Can I just ask a related
question: is the data persistent between dispatch loops? Ie if I set a flag
in my front controller plugin the first time the loop runs,will I be able to
check against it on the next iteration?

My plan is to use the post dispatch event after the first controller/action
is done - that will be my controller in the url and it will be loaded into
the content segment. I then want the plugin to make a call to the databse
and determine what other blocks are required for the layout, it would then
use the action stack plugin to process these calls and build my layout -
thus providing a widgetised layout built from the database.

Does this sound like sanity to you all?