I am trying to add some functionality to an app for single word identifiers on
a domain but am having some mod_rewrite issues. This is probably beyond my
skill in dealing with this and googling hasn't provided what I'm looking for..

I have a Zend Framework app that runs out of the /app/ directory like so:
http://domain.com/app/***

with .htaccess (located at http://domain.com/app/.htaccess) of
RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /app/
RewriteRule !\.(js|ico|txt|gif|jpg|png|css)$ index.php

This has been working fine. I want to map calls that go to the docroot with no
periods or slashes to an url within the /app/ diretory such as:
http://domain.com/jon    ->  http://domain.com/app/user/profile/name/jon

I'm able on a different domain to get this (located at
http://otherdomain.com/.htacess) to do:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^([a-zA-Z_-]+)$ /other/test.php?id=$1

http://otherdomain.com/jon -> http://otherdomain.com/other/test.php?id=jon

Adjusting for having two .htaccess files (ie the one in the docroot pointing to
/app/user/profile/name/$1 was seeming to cause an error.

I tried the following but and logged Rewrite calls to a file but this didn't
work :
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^/app/.*$ !\.(js|ico|gif|jpg|png|css|html)$ /app/index.php
RewriteRule ^([a-zA-Z_-]+)$ /app/user/profile/name/$1

Any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks,

jonathan