I am tackling several of these features now, in preparation for the 1.10 release (this code is and will be in the incubator.)

Can anyone elaborate on the .zf.ini properties that are respected or what one
needs to do to set up custom profiles?

Custom profiles are pretty much completely, they mostly need documenting. Overall, the docs need to be better organized. Currently if you put a project file in your storage directory at (for example):

.zf/project/profiles/custom.xml

Then with 1.10 zf client, you'll be able to use it like

zf create project -n custom ./directory

This works on my system, but needs to be more throughly tested.

Ultimately id like to change the project layout a bit. But for now ill
settle for enabling certian things. For example these are the key things i
want by default in every project:

- Config file format should be XML not INI
- Data dir with log, cache, and uploads
- Public dir with images, js, css

It seems like all this is doable with jsut certain attribs set on the
.zfproject.xml and pointing to that xml in the .zf.ini but i cant seem to
get it to work.

These types of things can definitely be handled by a custom profile. TO that though, there are probably a few places where having attributes persist into the context object make sense (this would make it easier to customize things like the name of a directory or file).

I'll keep you updated via the mailing list on the new features I'll be pushing out this week.

-ralph