I have found it is just like learning anything that is semi complex, and
different than you are used to.  It takes some time to build up your tool
set to both adapt how you currently do things to ZF, and ZF to how you do
things.  Once you get a couple projects under your belt, you will have a
pretty good understanding.

I started with very little OOP experience, and no MVC experience.  On top of
that it was just as ZF was moving to the new auto loader version.

One of the main issues I found that helped me was to find one resource that
covers most of the development from start to finish.  One of the good parts
and tricky parts of ZF is that you can do the same task 10 different ways.
 If you try and piece one online tutorial written by one person together
with a different one written by another person it is hard to since everyone
does it a little different.

I would suggest finding one source that will demonstrate start to finish a
project.  For me this wasn't the quick start, but
http://akrabat.com/zend-framework-tutorial/  really got me started.