On 2 Dec 2009, at 08:44, Dan Field wrote:

On 2 Dec 2009, at 05:04, M@ wrote:

I've checked the following
-The hardware is newer and faster
-The connection to the db is great, and manual testing from the server shows
no issues with large amounts of connections/queries.
-The new server is not under heavy load.

The sysadmin for this new box swears it's setup identically to the old one -
yet I can find no other reasons for the problems.  Are there specific
PHP/Zend settings at the apache/php level that can totally hose PHP/ Zend performance? I know this is very vague - but I'm grasping at straws... I'm
looking for any known 'gotchas' for Zend on a new apache/php server.

It's probably nothing to do with ZF and more to do with the fine tuning in your php.ini file. I'd be looking at the resource limits section:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; Resource Limits ;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

max_execution_time = 30 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds max_input_time = 60 ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
max_input_nesting_level = 64 ; Maximum input variable nesting level
memory_limit = 128M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (128MB)

and turn on all error reporting so you know a bit more about what is causing timeouts.

error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE

Are you tailing web server logs. These will give you more info to work from?

Oh, and you'll want to enable these too for debugging purposes:

log_errors = On

and maybe this one if you prefer to see the errors in the browser rather than in log files
display_errors = On

This could be useful too

report_memleaks = On

--
Dan Field <d...@llgc.org.uk>                   Ffôn/Tel. +44 1970 632 582
Peiriannydd Meddalwedd                          Senior Software Engineer