Has anyone seen a tutorial that takes the entire chain of events from
generating layers and build scripts all the way through to a completed
view with a shrinksafe dojo?

Every tutorial I've read stopped at making the profile.  This is not so
helpful when automating.  I made this to try and connect the two
technologies:

//build layer
$layerContents = $build->generateLayerScript();
$layername      =  $ME['base_dir'].'lib/dojo/dojo/galleryview.js';
if (!file_exists(dirname($layername))) {
mkdir(dirname($layername));
}
file_put_contents($layername, $layerContents);

//build profile

$profileContents = $build->generateBuildProfile();
$profilename = $ME['base_dir'].'lib/dojo/dojo/galleryview.profile.js';
if (!file_exists(dirname($profilename))) {
mkdir(dirname($profilename));
}
file_put_contents($profilename, $profileContents);

exec($ME['base_url'].'lib/dojo/dojo/util/buildscripts/build.sh
profileFile='.$profilename.'
action=release
layerOptimize=shrinksafe
stripConsole=all
releaseDir='.$ME['base_dir'].'lib/dojo/release/
cssOptimize=comments
', $captured_output, $return_value);

$VIEW->dojo()->addLayer($layername);

I put the profile right into the dojo directory.  It didn't work.  I think
the directories I specified were completely wrong.  There is no
documentation on what the directories for the dojo source files, the
release directory and the profile have to be.  There is also no clear
location to specify these directories in the profile and the build.sh
commmand.  Has anyone been able to do this successfully?