Ralph said, "When hashing, choose a reasonably secure enough, yet supported
method of hashing." However it would appear that password stretching or
strengthening is more important that the particular hash scheme. I learned
this by following Bill's third article.
The article was:
PBKDF2 (Password-Based Key Derivation Function)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PBKDF2 (and of course other articles referenced
by this)

This article lead me to here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_strengthening
and that lead me to further reading of Openwall.com which focuses on key
strengthening.

I am not trying to find some fool proof solution, just trying to make sense
of all the options.

Since stretching or strengthening was not never mentioned I am wondering if
anybody has an opinion on it.