I just wanted to add to this note Matthew pointed out..

This is the behavior of the stock rewrite rules that we suggest you use.. it is basically a catch all rewrite. It probably looks like this:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -s [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -l [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
RewriteRule ^.*$ - [NC,L]
RewriteRule ^.*$ index.php [NC,L]

That basically states that if the request file does not exist on the filesystem, then index.php (ZF Framework Entry point) should handle it.

A better RewriteRule might be:

RewriteRule !\.(js|ico|gif|jpg|png|css)$ index.php [NC,L]

Where the rewrite rule will exclude paths that have those file suffixes.

So, in a nutshell, this has very little to do with ZF, more to do with the rewrite rule you decide to employ. Our default (created with Zend_Tool), is all encompassing.

--ralph