I believe I encountered a similar problem, and the only solution I could come
up with was to bypass the framework and simply assign:

$_SESSION = array();

to empty the session without resetting the state of the surrounding
Zend\Session object.

I am not proud of this solution!  I would love to hear if there is a better way
to empty the session contents without officially destroying the session.

- Demian