On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Keith C. Ivey wrote:

> So for each letter
> in the word, one number is included in the xor: 797 for "a",
> 7101 for "e", 7105 for "i", 7111 for "o", 7117 for "u", 7121
> for "y", and 70 for anything else.

Bravo! I'm not at all surprised no-one else thought of this operation!

> Andrew's choice of this hole was just right.  Challenging
> enough to keep people away from their work and families until
> the last moment, and with multiple promising approaches.

Agreed. The number of completely different solutions is amazing and
impressive.

--
Stephen Turner, Cambridge, UK    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adelie/stephen/
"This is Henman's 8th Wimbledon, and he's only lost 7 matches." BBC, 2/Jul/01