On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 18:27:16 +0100
F. Xavier Noria <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: I learned that during these days (among a lot of other things). I
: thought the shebang meant "pass to the executable plus flags the content
: of the rest of the file as if it was called from the shell prompt", but
: this turned to be false... do you know the exact actual meaning? I saw
: no mention of that exception (if it is so) in perldoc perlrun, do you
: know if is it documented somewhere?

Aha, is documented in perldiag:

       Too late for """"-%s"""" option
           (X) The #! line (or local equivalent) in a Perl script
           contains the -M or -m option.  This is an error
           because -M and -m options are not intended for use
           inside scripts.  Use the use pragma instead.

So it seems that the shell invokes perl with the flag and perl itself
does not handle it. Where is the difference from the perl's view of the
execution? Why "-M and -m options are not intended for use inside
scripts"?

-- fxn