Piers Cawley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> some way of letting spectators see the entries

Stephen Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> temptation for players to peek would be too strong

Time delay.

Golf game begins at time X.
Submissions at X+n1, X+n2, X+n3...
Game over at time Y.

At time Y, replay of golf game begins.
Submissions revealed at Y+n1, Y+n2, Y+n3...
Replay over at time Z

This effectively doubles the time for a golf game. Half the time to play
it, half the time to watch it. Watching the game could either be via the
web, where spectators could watch just those holes/players that
interested them, or via mailing list where spectators would see everything.

To make things more interesting (for web and mailing list), players
should be encouraged to submit a comment with each submission so that
those seeing the time-delay'ed replay would be able to get a better
sense of how joyful/insane the player has gotten. The player could
analyze their move, say "hi mom", do nothing at all, or do whatever they
wanted with their commenting opportunity. The idea is just to make the
spectatorship more interesting.

I would suggest a perl golf mailing list for the replays, and subject
lines should probably contain handy filter-enabling summary info
(tournament id, hole id, player, score for submission). This mailing
list would also be an excelent venue for post mortems, and for players
to act out (during replay) all of the emotion of the game as it was
happening "for real" the first time.

I'm suspecting that this would take perl golf off fwp, but subscribing
to two lists isn't difficult, and as some folks have pointed out not all
fwp'ers are into golf. I suspect that if the mailing list version of the
reply were to occur on fwp, then with the increasing regularity of golf
games, those who don't like golf are likely to leave fwp at some point
anyhow (or just filter it somewhere and stop reading it regularly).

-matt