>> @{[]}  aka ???                        The Schwartz       early 1990s

Eugene> The Larry, May 1 1994
Eugene>  http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl/msg/1d82c7c3f3e94266

The array version was actually discussed in private email between me
and Larry, if I recall correctly, shortly before that public post,
because I had come up with it for some courseware of mine.

But, this *is* 10 years ago, and I could be mismembering.